Sunday, March 29, 2015

NEW ENGLAND, MARCH 28, 2015

Have faith in things you may not see
We're told since we are young. 
So I, despite the evidence,
Believe there's still a sun.

The sky, once blue and bright and clear,
Is now dull white and gray.
And since the start of this new year,
It's snowed like every day.

Each day I reassure myself:
"The day will come I know,
when I can step out of my house
and not step into snow."

Through the window, in the back, 
Thermometer sits teasing. 
He stubbornly refuses to
move upward above freezing.

The weatherman on Channel 6,
he said it won't be long.
"Today is Spring's first day!" he said.
I think now he was wrong.

But just beneath the frozen earth,
the mangled corpse of last year's garden,
Lie crocus, tulips, daffodils
Awaiting springtime's pardon.

So keep the faith, do not despair,
Believe the day will come
When you can raise your face and feel
The warmness of the sun.

When that day comes, I'll step outside
and say, "I was not wrong!
Dear Sun, I knew the winter through
You were there all along."

No comments:

Post a Comment