Saturday, January 23, 2016

JUST ANOTHER DAY

I don't know what those last words were
don't even know who said them
I don't remember what we ate
couldn't even specify a date
Did we kiss, or hug, or just walk away
it was just an ordinary day
Could anyone have known back then
I'd never see your face again

We must have thought "he'll call" "she'll write"
"We'll see each other Thursday night"
But Thursday came
one week, another
a new boyfriend, or a sick mother
The weeks became months became years became lives
Lives lived on our own
became husbands, became wives

If somehow we had known, on that "ordinary day"
What would we have done? What would we say?
I hope we'd embrace, and smile,
maybe even laugh,
and press our foreheads together softly for just a moment
and memorize each other's smells
maybe say I love you
maybe say thank you
and say goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment